van Poorten lab Publications
For PDFs, please see my ResearchGate page
* indicates graduate students
- van Poorten, B.T., M. Beck, L.-M. Herborg. In review. Turning population viability analysis on its head: decision analysis to evaluate invasive species control strategies. Conservation Biology.
- Hunt, L., E. Camp, B.T. van Poorten, R. Arlinghaus. In review. What influences where anglers fish? A review of economic-based models from 1992 to 2017. Fish and Fisheries.
- Varkey, D.A., B.T. van Poorten, M.K. McAllister. In review. Describing growth in stocked rainbow trout based on stocking densities and landscape characteristics. Fisheries Research.
- *Wor, C., *R. Licandeo, B.T. van Poorten, C.J. Walters. In review. Stock reduction analysis using catch at length data: Length-SRA. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences.
- van Poorten, B.T., N. Taylor, D. O'Brien, C.J. Walters. In review. A length-based mar-recapture model for estimating abundance and recruitment: removing bias due to size-selective capture gear. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences.
- van Poorten, B.T., M.G. Sullivan, T. Godin, J.R. Post, E.A. Parkinson. In review. Status and management of fisheries resources in western Canada. In Freshwater fisheries in Canada: historical and contemporary perspectives on the resource and their management. American Fisheries Society Books, Bathesda, MD.
- van Poorten, B.T., S. Harris, A. Hebert. In press. Evaluating benefits of stocking on sockeye recovery projections in a nutrient-enhanced mixed life history population. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences.
- van Poorten, B.T., J. Korman, C.J. Walters. In press. Revisiting Beverton-Holt recruitment in the presence of variation in food availability. Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries.
- van Poorten, B.T., *S.H. Brydle. 2018. Evaluating fishing effort from traffic counters: opportunities and challenges. Fisheries Research.
- van Poorten, B.T., *B. Barrett, C.J. Walters, R.N.M Ahrens. 2017. Are removal-based abundance models robust to fish behavior? Fisheries Research 196:160-169.
- *Barrett, B, B.T.,van Poorten, A.B. Cooper. 2017. Sample size planning for off-site angler surveys: the trade-off between accuracy, sample size and survey cost. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 34(4): 756-767.
- Scott, D.C., S.L. Harris, A.S. Hebert, B.T. van Poorten. 2017. Nutrient dynamics in a highly managed reservoir system: considering anadromous sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka) and nutrient restoration. Lake and Reservoir Management 33(1):14-22. (Nominated for James LeBounty award for Best Paper)
- van Poorten, B.T. , C.J. Walters, H.G.M. Ward. 2016. Prediction of changes in the catchability coefficient as less skilled fishermen drop out during stock declines. Fisheries Research. 183:279-384.
- van Poorten, B.T., C.J. Walters. 2016. How can bioenergetics help us predict changes in fish growth patterns? Fisheries Research. 180:23-30.
- Camp, E.V., B.T. van Poorten, C.J. Walters. 2015. Evaluating short openings as a management tool to maximize value in catch and release fisheries. North American Journal of Fisheries Management. 35:1106-1120.
- van Poorten, B.T., C.J. Walters. 2015. Dependence of feeding rates on body mass when food density is limiting to growth. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences. 72:1916-1922.
- van Poorten, B.T., T.R. Carruthers, H.G.M. Ward, D.A. Varkey. 2015. Imputing recreational fishing effort from time-lapse cameras using an hierarchical Bayesian model. Fisheries Research. 172:265-273.
- van Poorten, B.T., S.P. Cox, A.B. Cooper. 2013. Efficacy of harvest and minimum size limit regulations for controlling short-term harvest in recreational fisheries. Fisheries Management and Ecology. 20:258-267.
- van Poorten, B.T., C.J. Walters, N. Taylor. 2012. A field-based bioenergetics model for estimating time-varying food consumption and growth. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society. 141:943-961.
- Walters, C.J., B.T. van Poorten, L.G. Coggins. 2012. Bioenergetics and population dynamics of flannelmouth sucker and bluehead sucker in Grand Canyon as evidenced from tag recapture observations. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society. 141:158-173.
- van Poorten, B.T., R. Arlinghaus, K. Daedlow, S.S. Haertel-Borer. 2011. Social-ecological interactions, management panaceas, and the future of wild fish populations. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 108:12554-12559.
- van Poorten, B.T., C.J. Walters. 2010. Estimation of bioenergetics parameters for rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) using capture-recapture data with comparison to estimates from a laboratory-based model. The Open Fish Science Journal 3:69-79.
- van Poorten, B.T., S.O. McAdam. 2010. Estimating differences in growth and metabolism in two spatially segregated groups of Columbia River white sturgeon using a field-based bioenergetics model. The Open Fish Science Journal 3: 132-141.
- Flowers, H.J., B.T. van Poorten, J.C. Tetzlaff, W.E. Pine III. 2010. Bioenergetic approach to describing Gulf sturgeon (Acipenser oxyrinchus) growth in two Florida rivers. The Open Fish Science Journal 3:80-86.
- Post, J.R., B.T. van Poorten, T. Rhodes, P. Askey, A. Paul. 2006. Fish entrainment into irrigation canals: an analytical approach and application to the Bow River, Alberta, Canada. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 26:875-887.
- van Poorten, B.T., J.R. Post. 2005. Seasonal fishery dynamics of a previously unexploited rainbow trout population with contrasts to established fisheries. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 25:329-345. (Chosen as 2005 Best Paper by the journal)
- Bunt, C.M., B.T. van Poorten, L. Wong. 2001. Denil fishway utilization patterns and passage of several warmwater species relative to seasonal, thermal and hydraulic dynamics. Ecology of Freshwater Fish 10:212-219.